It's that time again for a new project. What do I want? I'm going to make my own URL Shortener/Redirect service.
Why not use goo.gl? Well what's the fun in that?
The point of this is to learn a little bit more about PHP and Laravel. I already have quite a bit of PHP experience, but this would be my first Laravel. It's practically free for me to make a url shortener, other than a cheap domain name.
Here's my initial plan and expectations:
Creating the URL
- Go to my domain name (still pending)
- Paste your link into the form
- Generate URL
- Copy + Paste anywhere
Using a URL
- Navigate to the URL
- Go to my server
- Store user information (IP Address, Time, whatever else I can get)
- Redirect user
- Store URLs in a database
- Table for redirects
- Table for clicks
- Server code written in PHP/Laravel
- Aim for a less than 25ms response. This is a number I pulled out of thin air. I have no idea what the realistic expectations are.
- Store clicks (IP Address, Time)
- Provide information about shortened URL (how many clicks)
Other cool things that I could add:
- QR code
- Batch generators
- One time use or expire after N clicks